Hay River began as a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) trading post in 1868. It remained a trading post until 1939 when the beginnings of a settlement were established on Vale Island. Hay River became an Administration District on April 21, 1949 and a Municipal District on June 25, 1953. On July 19, 1963, Hay River obtained town status.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of 65 cm of textual records relating to the administration of Hay River dating from 1931 to 1982. The records consist of mimeographed copies of typed minutes of meetings from the following: Local Board of Trustees of the Hay River Administrative District, from January 1952 to July 1953; the Council of the Municipal District of Hay River, from August 1953 to December 1963; and the Council of the Corporation of the Town of Hay River, from January 1964 to 1982. The material also includes by-laws, budgets, financial statements and reports. In addition, there are three bound ledger volumes. One volume is labeled "Motor Vehicle Opera[tors] Permits," but actually contains a daily record of water treatment, storage and consumption in Hay River between 1960 and 1971. The second volume is lettered "Applications for Mining Locations," and includes a listing of mining applications from 1931 and a listing of Land occupation permits for Hay River, 1946 to 1950. The third volume, lettered "Applications for Mining Locations - Northwest Territories and Yukon Branch," contains a listing of Land occupation permits for Hay River, 1944 to 1954. These ledgers would at one time have been controlled by the Northern Administration Branch of the federal Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development. There are no minutes for 1969, 1971-1972, or 1974-1977.
No access restrictions.
No copyright restrictions.
No finding aid available.
The fonds is comprised of the following accessions. Click any accession number below to see the accession description.