The original 21 Giant Mine claims were staked by C.J. Baker and H.M. Muir in July 1935. Both prospectors were at that time working for Burwash Yellowknife Mines, Ltd. In August 1937, Giant Yellowknife Mines, Ltd. was incorporated. In 1941, Frobisher Explorations, a subsidiary of Ventures Ltd. examined the Giant claims and signed an agreement with Giant in which they gained control of Giant. The first gold brick was poured in May 1948. In 1962, Ventures Ltd. merged with Falconbridge Mines, Ltd. In 1986, the Pamour group of companies began acquiring shares in Giant Yellowknife Mines Ltd. and bought the company from Falconbridge for $200 million dollars. In 1990, Royal Oak Resources Inc. purchased the Pamour group of companies along with all of its subsidiaries, including Giant Yellowknife Mine, Akaitcho Yellowknife Gold Mines and Supercrest Mines Ltd. Royal Oak Mines Inc. was formed through the amalgamation of these companies. Royal Oak Mines Inc. declared bankruptcy in 1999 and Giant Mine was put into receivership and officially closed in the fall of 1999.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of 3.6 meters of textual material, 328 photographs including 197 colour transparencies, 25 colour prints, 50 colour negatives, 4 black and white transparencies, 2 black and white glass slides and 50 black and white prints. As well, there are 18 architectural plans, blueprints, site plans and flow charts. Also included are four 16mm colour motion picture films. The majority of the textual material dates from 1944-1999 and includes monthly operational reports and reports from the President, underground operations, diamond drilling and treatment plant for Giant Yellowknife Mines Ltd. There are also meeting minutes, by-laws and constitution for the Giant Recreation Association and 10 Year Club, as well as menus and dinner invitations from 10 year club celebrations. In addition, there are copies of the Giant Mine newsletter Baker Creek News and photocopies of 34 annual reports for Giant Yellowknife Gold Mines, Ltd. and one original annual report from 1947. The remaining textual material includes correspondence and monthly operational reports for the Salmita Mine, Taurcanis (Bulldog) Mine and Tundra Gold Mine. The architectural plans show buildings and mine site layout for Taurcanis Mine. There are also blueprints, site plans and milling flow sheets from Giant Mine. The photographs date from the 1950s to 1991 and include aerial views of Giant Mine, headframe buildings, tailings retreatment plant, tailings ponds, employees at work both above and underground, pouring of the 10,000 gold brick and safety awards. In addition, there are photographs of the Akaitcho Mine, Salmita Mine, Tundra Mine and Crestaurum Mine. There are also several black and white prints that were taken by George Hunter in the 1950s documenting activities at Giant Mine. The four colour 16mm motion picture films record mining, exploration and construction activities. Included is a film documenting construction at Giant Mine in 1946/47, a promotional film titled "Giant Mines Story 1954" which describes the mining and smelting process at Giant and life in Yellowknife, and two films documenting mining exploration camps.
No access restrictions.
No copyright restrictions.
Physical description note
3.6 meters of textual material; 328 photographs : col. and b/w transparencies; col. and b/w negatives and prints; 2 b/w glass slides; 18 architectural plans, flow charts and blueprint.
Finding aid available for N-2001-014.
The fonds is comprised of the following accessions. Click any accession number below to see the accession description.